NOTES TO A LAUD AND PRAISE &C.
2. Noble Henry the eight] Side Note: Nobilis Henricus, &c. "Noble Henry, &c."
5. Of this our noble king] Side note: Ne tanti regis, &c. "Not of such a king, &c."
6. Therefore no more they shall] Side note: Ecce Platonis secla, &c "Behold the age of Plato, &c."
7. Adonis of fresh colour] Side note: Rediit jam pulcher Adonis &c. "He has now brought back the beauty of Adonis.
8. Upon us he doth reign] Side note: Anglorum radians, &c. "The shining light of the English People, &c."
9. Martis' lusty knight] i.e. vigorous knight of Mars (warrior).
10. Bien men sovient.] "Well remembered". These words are followed in the MS. by a sort of flourished device, which might perhaps be readó"Deo (21) gratias." (Thanks be to God")
11. Per me laurigerum Britonum Skeltonida vatem.] "By me, Skelton, Poet Laureate of Britain"